Christopher Columbus: Success or Failure?

Although Columbus made his famous voyage over 500 years ago, he remains a topic of conversation and controversy in classrooms across America today.

Download this interactive lesson to discuss the role of Christopher Columbus in history.

Through a variety of interactive activities, including MimioVote questions, your students will make their own discoveries about Columbus. After using high level thinking skills to analyze his accomplishments, they will determine if Columbus was a "success" or a "failure."

We want to hear from you! Join the forum discussion about this lesson!

Please be sure to include:

The Name of Your School

The Grade Level You Teach

Do your students think he was a success or a failure?

How do you think this lesson performed in your classroom?

Paul Gigliotti's picture
Submitted by Paul Gigliotti Mimio Master Mimio Moderators Mimio Site Manager on Oct. 2, 2012

Comments & Collaboration (3)

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

50-50 Columbus win in that

Columbus win in that case, that find America and al its' gold and other worth things) Bit fail with India.
But nowadays there are many other problems, so I don't think that Columbus is the great theme for disscution

  • Posted:
    Jan. 22, 2018
Posted by
Fred Vasco
Downloads: 0


Thank you for this great lesson. I teach younger students so I will have to adapt a few things. I am not teaching right now, so haven't had the opportunity to try it with the students. I look forward to making them think more about their opinion as well as the facts about his life.
I teach at Wake Christian Academy
3rd grade

  • Posted:
    Jun. 4, 2013
Posted by
Chelle Fisher
Downloads: 86

Great lesson for getting students thinking about Columbus

This lesson was a fantastic way to teach my students about Columbus' impact on History! The lesson performed very well and kept my students engaged.

The kids really enjoyed some of the interactive activities. Crossing the "Sea of Darkness" was a big hit! They also liked the San Salvador painting.

As the lesson progressed, they were especially excited to express their opinion of Columbus using their votes. The Vote is a wonderful teaching tool and my students ask to use them each day.

At the end of the lesson about 52% of my class determined that Columbus was a success and the other 48% choose failure. We had a great discussion after seeing the results on the board.

I would highly recommend using this lesson!My name is Jackie Szemplak. I teach 8th grade U.S. History at Parma Senior High School in Parma, Ohio.

  • Posted:
    Oct. 2, 2012
Posted by
Downloads: 0

Forgot Your Password?  


Why Become a Member?
 Find Content
Search our extensive library of lesson plans for interactive whiteboards or share your own favorites with others.

 Get Interactive
Become involved in discussions on our forums, or start your own Mimio Group for sharing files and ideas.

 Learn More
Get answers to your questions from Mimio Masters, or take live online or on-demand courses that suit your timetable.