New mimio Power Tools - What do you want to see?

Hi there

I'm currently thinking about creating a new version of the mimio Power Tools Pack as they seem to be fairly popular with everybody.

I am interested in knowing what NEW tools teachers would like to see in this updated edition.

Please leave your thoughts in this thread.

And don't forget to vote for the original Power Tools Pack here:
http://www.mimioconnect.com/content/lesson/mimio_power_tools_pack_v1

Thanks for your input.

mimioguy's picture
Submitted by mimioguy Mimio Site Manager on Jun. 24, 2009

Comments & Collaboration (234)

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

A Metronome

Though I don't know if it would come under power tools :) I was just planning a music lesson and thought, wouldn't it be cool to have an interactive metronome to add to help the kids keep in time? A simple tick/beat that could be speed adjusted.

• Posted:
    Jun. 20, 2010
missc
Posted by
Miss Crosby
Downloads: 53

Paper choices

I don't know if this would fall under the power pack, but I would like "paper" background for writing or cursive. Lined and lined with dashes would be fantastic!

• Posted:
    Jun. 16, 2010
stadeo
Posted by
Stephanie
Downloads: 24

Fraction Pie and Pieces

Hi -
Just getting trained on mimio and LOVE all we can do!
I see someone posted the idea for fraction pie and pieces that students could select and rotate to fit into a pie. Is this somewhere that I can download? It would be great to use for students to convert improper fraction pieces to mixed numbers. Appreciate it! Thanks!

• Posted:
    Jun. 10, 2010
nedvedjill
Posted by
nedvedjill
Downloads: 93

Clocks

I would love to see a clock that will randomly choose a time - either to the hour, 1/2 hour, 15 minutes or 5 minutes. This would be much easier than constantly creating my own clocks.

• Posted:
    May. 20, 2010
marihaley
Posted by
Mari Haley
Downloads: 492

Clocks

I would love to see a clock that will randomly choose a time - either to the hour, 1/2 hour, 15 minutes or 5 minutes. This would be much easier than constantly creating my own clocks.

• Posted:
    May. 20, 2010
marihaley
Posted by
Mari Haley
Downloads: 492

scientific calculator

mimio uses the windows calculator under mimio tools > applications. If you go to the Calculator view menu you will find the scientific option. Select the Scientific option and the calculator expands to show the scientific options.

• Posted:
    Aug. 3, 2010
peterhill
Posted by
Peter Hill
Downloads: 54

Countdown timer, with and

Countdown timer, with and without "buzzer." This would be awesome! Even better would be the capability to run different timers at the same time with different "sounds" at the completion of the countdown.
Thanks!

• Posted:
    May. 3, 2010
amywand
Posted by
amywand
Downloads: 216

handling flash

I would like to see an improvement in the way the notebook handles flash. I would like it no to reload a flash file every time a user changes slide or opens the notebook.

It appears that it doesn't reload when you go to from full screen to regular view but it does in every other view or even when you change pages. If this were improved it would allow for more dynamic experiences.

thanks

• Posted:
    Mar. 26, 2010
Jesus Cital
Posted by
Jesus Cital
Downloads: 624

I would love to see a reveal

I would love to see a reveal that looks like a door. It would be like the old "Let's Make a Deal" when they get to choose door #1, 2, or 3.

• Posted:
    Mar. 14, 2010
Posted by
Downloads: 0

Spinners

I would like to see cooperative learning spinners. They are spinners where you have multiple rings of numbers. For example if you have teams of students in your classroom and you would like one person from each team to share, you can spin. Groups of 5 would look at one part of the spinner and groups of 4 could look at another to see who from their team would share. I hope this is making some sense!!! You can look at Kagan's website to get a better idea of what I am talking about.

• Posted:
    Mar. 8, 2010
Adrienne28
Posted by
Adrienne28
Downloads: 54

Power tools: student randomizer

I would like to see a way to enter kids names in and randomly pick their names. I would like it to float on top of the lessons. That way is I change lessons it can use the name grandomizer. That way when I deliver my lesson I can radomly choose a student.

• Posted:
    Mar. 4, 2010
efranz
Posted by
Eric Franz
Downloads: 129

Uploaded

I have uploaded a couple of name randomizers. They are made in flash and the way the software works with flash they refresh everytime you switch pages. If you would like I can hardcode one with your names for you that way you can paste it on every page and have the same effect.

• Posted:
    Mar. 7, 2010
Jesus Cital
Posted by
Jesus Cital

math power pack-needs a right triangle

I was excited about the math power pack. but then I realized it did not have a single right triangle that I could change. There was the templete but it was not very helpful when I was needing only one to do the pythagorean theorem. I needed room to solve the problem. But I have enjoyed the mimio very very very much.

• Posted:
    Mar. 1, 2010
arjohnson@ccisd.us
Posted by
Andy J.
Downloads: 21

one right triangle

It is possible to get just one right triangle. Drag the template with three right triangles into mimio notebook. Right click and choose unlock all. You will then be able to select each triangle individually. Copy the one that you want and paste it to another page. You can rotate it so that it is positioned the way that you want.

If you want to save this single right triangle to your gallery, drag it to the gallery(it will be in the image section.) The next time that you want this triangle, you will not have to separate it from the group of three. You can just drag it to your lesson.

I hope that this helps you.

There is also a mcf file that you may want to add to your gallery. It has a wide assortment of right triangles. These have a transparent background so they allow you to add a colored background to your lesson. Go to the search box at the top of this page and search for right triangle gallery and you should find it. I think that this will be just what you need.

• Posted:
    Mar. 4, 2010
tastephens
Posted by
Teresa Stephens
Downloads: 3367

Random Name Generator

I have uploaded a name generator that allow you to type in your roster and then select a student at random. Let me know what you think. It's version one so if I get some feedback i will work on an improved version.

• Posted:
    Mar. 4, 2010
Jesus Cital
Posted by
Jesus Cital

random number generator

I have uploaded a random number generator that allows you to set your range. Let me know what you think. It's version 1.0 so I can pretty much do anything with it.

• Posted:
    Feb. 28, 2010
Jesus Cital
Posted by
Jesus Cital

more interactive tools

I would like to see more interactive flash tools in the gallery. SMART has many interactive flash tools that are editable and allow the teacher to set the correct answer with immediate feedback responses. I would love to have more of these in mimio.

• Posted:
    Feb. 10, 2010
barber
Posted by
mary barber
Downloads: 528

Interactive flash tools

if you can be a bit more specific on the items you want I can work at developing them for you. I have already uploaded several files that allow you to modify them for your needs. Let me know how I can help you.

• Posted:
    Mar. 4, 2010
Jesus Cital
Posted by
Jesus Cital

power tools

As a person new to mimio and mimio connect, I am amazed at all the potential. Ive learned so much but realize that tecnology is always moving forward. I would like to see a baseball player that throws a ball which turns into an answer to a question. I think that this would be a really cool feature which I would use often.

• Posted:
    Feb. 8, 2010
cassels
Posted by
cassels
Downloads: 11

baseball

I have something that I would like to get your thoughts on. Would you be willing to try it? Basically, this tool allow you to type in questions and answers. Then it randomly selects a question for you when you press a button. you then press another button and a ball flies on the screen revealing the answer. Let me know if you are interested in trying it out.

• Posted:
    Mar. 11, 2010
Jesus Cital
Posted by
Jesus Cital

New features for the next release?

Hello, I teach English and love Mimio studio, but a few new features would make my job easier (I know only my points number 3 and 7 are related to Power tools, but I thought I would post the rest as well, as I don't know how to contact Mimio developers when we have suggestions or bugs):

1) hyperlinks: PDF files support hyperlinks, so it would be nice if they could be saved with the rest when we choose save as... + pdf. By the way, if the text could stay as text and not be converted as pictures, that would be good too (my students could use text to speech conversion to learn the pronunciation of the lesson)

2) I put my lessons online for my students as pdf files, it would be extremely useful if they could download a light version of mimiostudio (just a reader, without the possibility to write, but they should be able to click on the ressources such as videos, or flash tools and to follow hyperlinks). That way, they could go through the lessons again, using all the interactive tools.

3) The Mimio Notebook should work more like a browser: at the moment, when I play a video or a Flash animation in a notebook page and then move to another page to write what the students are saying, when I go back to the animation page, it reloads it, so the animation goes back to the beginning and I lose the position where I was. It's the same with all the flash tools, they revert to their original state. This should only happen when we click on a refresh button or load the .ink file again. Another solution would be to allow pages to be broader or higher than the screen, we could put the video on the side and still have space to write.

4) The projector tool could have differents shapes: a rectangle projector would be better for discovering a text paragraph by paragraph. I know the reveal tool allows for this, but I would like the beginning of the text to be hidden when we move on and I guess there would be other uses for such a tool.

5) A button to navigate between applications would be really useful, especially from the full screen mode as it's not convenient to go to the keyboard to press ALT+TAB when facing the students, or to close the full screen mode to find the right tab at the bottom of the screen.

6) The online handwriting recognition is really useful, especially for people like me: Mimio seems to understand my handwriting better than my students! When we work within the notebook, it could automatically insert a text box where we write without needing to click first on the "T" in the toolbar. I would use it all the time!

7) The toolbar is always needed, so it has to stay on the screen most of the time. I know we can minimize it by double-clicking, then double click again to open, change tool, then double click to minimize... What I would like is, when the bar is minimized, to have it behave like the windows start menu: you click and then navigate to the tool you want, and then it minimizes itself automatically again. It could be called by a button on the Mimio pen to appear just where we want and disappear when the tool is selected.

8) As for Power Tools, they're really useful, but if it's technically possible, it would be nice to have tools on which you can write: for example, the reveal boxes, I would like to write the question on them, and then when I click, the question disappears and we see the answer. The same with the bubble pop balloons.We could also imagine cards on which the teacher writes a question, and when we click on it, it flips the card and we see the answer on the other side. If we could also put pictures on these tools, they could be used as flashcards.for language teaching.

I hope that some of this will find its way into the next versions. Keep up the good work!

• Posted:
    Feb. 8, 2010
jerome451
Posted by
Jerome Decuq
Downloads: 115

add paint

It would be great if there was a way to color fill inside black lines. For example, when I import a blank outline map, I would like to add text box of the country's name, then cover it with a fill of color. Then have students click to reveal country name. Sort of like the bubble pop, but the color is the shape of the country. I have tried this but had to just color and the students erase to see name.

• Posted:
    Feb. 5, 2010
cturner
Posted by
Cindy Turner
Downloads: 48

die with dots & die facing forward with dots

along with the dice with dots, I would like to see the die showing forward instead of the 3-d Mode. Most get the idea of where the answer is, but the 3-d view is difficult for the student who is struggling.

• Posted:
    Feb. 28, 2010
lmeiser45
Posted by
Leah Meiser
Downloads: 257

die with dots & die facing forward with dots

along with the dice with dots, I would like to see the die showing forward instead of the 3-d Mode. Most get the idea of where the answer is, but the 3-d view is difficult for the student who is struggling.

• Posted:
    Feb. 28, 2010
lmeiser45
Posted by
Leah Meiser
Downloads: 257

new content for mimio power tools

You could include ready-made interactive tools for creating exercises for English language teachers!! (quizzes, multiple choice etc.)
Thank you in advance

• Posted:
    Feb. 2, 2010
zervosschool
Posted by
Ioannis Zervos
Downloads: 7

Forgot Your Password?  

Why Become a Member?
 Find Content
Search our extensive library of lesson plans for interactive whiteboards or share your own favorites with others.

Get Interactive
Become involved in discussions on our forums, or start your own Mimio Group for sharing files and ideas.

Learn More
Get answers to your questions from Mimio Masters, or take live online or on-demand courses that suit your timetable.

WATCH OUR VIDEO

Ask a Master

Question:

Can our Chromebooks have the MimioStudio software loaded onto them?

Tracy Tishion's picture
Mimio Master:
Tracy Tishion

Answer:

Great question and thank you for your submission to MimioConnect. Chromebooks can't download the software to their device but do connect to MimioMobile through the web at this address:...

Read More

Register